West Ridge Academy School
West Ridge Academy is a fully functional K-12 school, accredited through Northwest Association of Accredited Schools. With a student-teacher ratio of 15:1, our certified faculty are committed to preparing students to be successful, both now and in the future.
Our curriculum follows the state core guidelines. Although our focus is reading, writing and arithmetic, we offer a wide range of classes in the social and physical sciences, language arts, physical education and music. Click here for a full listing of classes.
The students at West Ridge Academy have the opportunity to continue in their education by receiving scholarships to community colleges and universities. Giving our student a well-rounded education is not only critical to their self worth, but essential for their success as adults.
Many of the students who come to West Ridge have struggled with academics in their previous school settings, which have caused them to"fall behind" in their educational progress. For this reason, we are able to provide in-house curriculum packets that are designed to bring students back to grade level in course credits. West Ridge Students are taught the proper role of a student and the satisfaction that comes through achievement.
Our computer lab is located in the Media Center where students are able to participate in technology skill, such as web design, key boarding and research related activities. Our curriculum follows the Utah State Core Curriculum, which is based on a nationally recommended curriculum, with a range of social studies, science, math, PE, language, history and music classes. For those students who qualify for Special Education, our Sp. Ed. Department Instructor is trained and state certified, with class sizes ranging from 2-5 students.
At the beginning of each student's enrollment, they are tested by our Literacy Department. to determine their reading level and individual needs. The tests administered to our student's are SWIFT & BRIGANCE word recognition skills tests as well as the Exemplary Center for Reading Instruction (ECRI).
The on-campus cafeteria is maintained and managed by an experienced staff of licensed cooks and dietician. They provide healthy and nutritious meals to our students and staff members. Our menus are prepared from the basic food groups with the student's health and well-being in mind.
Part of the successful program is the ability to communicate effectively. West Ridge Academy provides Parent/Teacher conference and web site information. Our faculty can be contacted via e-mail and/or telephone during school hours. With the popular educational software, Power School in use by our faculty our parents have real time access to their student's grades and course work.
West Ridge Academy is perpetually striving to build leadership skills in our students through service to self, others, and community. We engage ourselves in regular service projects throughout the communities that surround the campus. We believe that a child that "loses oneself in the service of others" gains a valuable understanding of oneself and the contribution that one person can make to society.
Our student council is made up of representatives from each homeroom. Every week the council meets to plan activities, discuss concerns within the school, promote a sense of leadership position and make decisions within the school. The student council plans activities and enables better communication between the student body and the faculty. Student council, with it's dedication, makes school a more enjoyable experience.
Our Media Center contains over 7,500 books ranging from modern enchantment to the classics like Harry Potter to Julius Caesar. Students have access to 34 computers that enable them to write research papers, do math labs, and learn basic computer skills. We continue to find new and innovative ways to manage the media center more effectively.
Some commonly asked questions concerning education
1. Is West Ridge an accredited school? Yes. We are accredited through Northwest Association of Accredited Schools which is the same accrediting body that accredits public schools throughout Utah, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming and Oregon. Because we are accredited, all of the credits that any student earns at our school is transferable to any school in the United States.
2. What does the day of student look like? All students wake-up at 6:00 am to begin their day. They will do home chores followed by a morning group before heading off to school. Once at school they will have breakfast and have study hall for 30 minutes. This is a great time for students to get additional time with individual teachers in subjects that might be a struggle for them. School begins at 10:00 am and runs until 5:00pm.
3. What kinds of courses are available for my student? Because we are a small school we have a limited amount of classes available. We do however meet all the core classes that a student will need to graduate from high school. The following table (below)shows a typical course offering at West Ridge Academy.
4. What are the class sizes at West Ridge? We understand that when classes become too large that it makes it hard for students to concentrate and be involved in the discussion. So our goal is to have all classes with no more than fifteen students per class.
5. What can I do to stay involved in my student's education? We have several ways that parents can check on their student's progress. First, "PowerSchool" is a web based program that allows parents to see what their student is doing in each particular class and if they are keeping up their grades. Second, is parent teacher conference's which are held quarterly. The are a great way for parents to get to know the educational team at West Ridge and address concerns that either party might have. Third is talking with the therapist for their child. All of these are important tools to assure that all of our students are having their needs met.
CALL TODAY FOR OUR SPECIALISTS!
West Ridge Academy
5500 Bagley Park Road,
West Jordan, Utah 84081